- My Rating: [C+], I gave it a (2.9 of 5) on Ratebeer.com
Genesis Ale – Shmaltz Brewing Company (Brewed at Olde Saratoga Brewing), 6% ABV, 12 fl.oz., (Clifton Park, NY, USA)
“Contract brewed for Shmaltz Brewing Company. Our First Creation
Crisp, smooth and perfectly balanced between a west coast style pale and amber ale, with a supple malt sweetness and a pronounced hop flourish.
Malts: 2-row, Caramel 40L, Dark Crystal, Munich, Wheat
Hops: Warrior, Northern Brewer, Willamette”
- Style: Amber Ale
- Taste: Sweet toasted barley malty sour-tangy astringent finish
- Where I got it : Brewery Creek / Vancouver
- How much: $39 CAD (after 10% off) – 8 x 12 fl.oz. + glassware, May 2012
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: no
- Would I recommend this to beer aficionados: solid, but won’t crave it
Visual: (cellared for 4 years). Pours clear brown with no significant head, thin hazy ringed retention, some bubbles here and there, minor lacing.
Nose: sweet nutty caramel malts (lvl-5)-pungency
Attack: crisp-thicker mouthfeel
Mid-palate: tingly CO2, toasted barley malts, bready-biscuity (lvl-5-sweetness)
Finish: background gentle bitter hops, mild sour-tangy astringency.
Summary: A good thick mouthfeel akin to their other beers, but this one having some astringency in the background and emerging in the finish. A bit above average.