- My Rating: [A-], I gave it a (3.8 of 5) on Ratebeer.com
He’Brew Bittersweet Lenny’s R.I.P.A – Shmaltz Brewing Company, 10% ABV, 12 fl.oz., (Clifton Park, NY, USA)
“Commemorating the 40th Anniversary of the death of Lenny Bruce: A Rye based double IPA. Brewed with an obscene amount of malts and hops. Shocking flavors – Far beyond contemporary community standards. The Most Radical Jewish Tribute Beer ever created. 10% alc. — Malts: 2-row, Rye Ale Malt, Torrified Rye, Crystal Rye 75, Crystal Malt 65, Wheat, Kiln Amber, Caramel 70 — Hops: Warrior, Cascade, Simcoe, Crystal, Chinook, Amarillo, Centennial. Dry Hopped with Amarillo and Crystal”
- Style: Double / Imperial IPA
- Taste: Superfine creamy resiny grapefruit bitter hop toffee malt smooth
- Where I got it : Brewery Creek / Vancouver
- How much: $39 CAD (after 10% off) – 8 x 12 fl.oz. + glassware, May 2012
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: no
- Would I recommend this to beer aficionados: yes, try it to believe it
Visual: (cellared for 4 years). Pours deep mahogany brown with a long lasting ultra-creamy small head, sticky micro lacing, super fine layer of 1mm retention, clusters of snail speed streams near the surface.
Nose: toffee barley malt. (lvl-4)-pungency
Attack: superfine creamy smooth, thick-dense mouthfeel, suspended micro CO2
Mid-palate: grapefruit bitter hops, (lvl-5-sweetness), toffee toasted barley malt, resiny, trace metallic
Finish: sweet-heavy alcohol hit, dry rye malt.
Summary: Super duper creamy mouthfeel unlike most others, stealth 10% ABV hits hard once it’s all over. Very drinkable, up there.