- My Rating: [C-], I gave it a (2.5 of 5) on Ratebeer.com
Cookie Beer – Brasserie d’Ecaussinnes, 8% ABV, 33cl., (Ecaussinnes, Belgium)
- Style: (flavoured – Speculoos) Belgian Strong Ale
- Taste: Sickly sweetened ginger star anise creamy light toffee malt
- Where I got it : Firefly / Vancouver
- How much: $5 CAD (after 10% off) – 33cl, January 2013
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: no
- Would I recommend this to beer aficionados: nah, acquired taste
Visual: (cellared for 3 years). Pours muddy brownish orange with a large super foamy lasting head, 5mm layer of retention, dense clusters of very active streams.
Nose: nutmeg, clove, white pepper (lvl-5)-pungency
Attack: creamy-crisp, incoming sharp sweetness
Mid-palate: sickly escalating (lvl-8-sweetness), cinnamon, ginger, star anise, toffee malt, zingy alcohol
Finish: star anise exhale, sugar rush headache.
Summary: Likable creamy texture but very heavy on the sugars, ginger, and star anise flavours. Difficult to sip without starchy food. Unbalanced – too sweet, too spiced.