- My Rating: [C+], I gave it a (2.6 of 5) on Ratebeer.com
Hollie Wood Oyster Stout – Spinnakers Brewpub, 7.6% ABV – 20 IBU, 650ml., (Victoria, BC, Canada) (*local BC craft beer)
-a good read on the background of oyster stout at foodrepublic.com
on the front-right label:
“Oysters and stout have a rich history as food for the masses. With a creamy rich texture and briny finish from the oysters and a roasty bitterness from the malt, this heavyweight stout was brewed with three additions of prime fresh oysters from our friends at Hollie Wood Oysters in Fanny Bay, BC. The world is yours. And yes, there really are oysters in this beer!”
Ingredients: aquifer water, malted barley, oysters, oats, hops, yeast.
- Style: (flavoured – oyster) Stout
- Taste: Thick coffee roasted barley chocolate mild oyster exhale
- Where I got it : Bottle Jockey / Burnaby
- How much: $7 CAD (after 12.5% off) – 650ml., February 2016
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: no
- Would I recommend this to beer aficionados: nah
Visual: Pours dark brown with almost no head, thin ring with thin haze on top, no visible activity.
Nose: chocolate, roasted coffee barley malt. (lvl-8)-pungency
Attack: half crisp-oily slick, thicker mouthfeel
Mid-palate: low CO2, roasted caramel malt, (lvl-7-sweetness), non-descript berries, mild coffee
Finish: chocolate syrup, mild “fishy” oyster/ocean exhale.
Summary: Quite drinkable, but the sweetness compounds after multiple sips. Two-note at best, more carbonation/creaminess needed to liven it up.