- My Rating: [B-], I gave it a (3.2 of 5) on Ratebeer.com
Dana IPA is Dead (single hop IPA), 6.7% ABV – 75 IBU, 330ml. (part of a 4-pack), (Ellon, Scotland)
-Summary of the four hop varieties:
- Dana (Slovenia) = grassy, mango, light spicy
- East Kent Goldings (UK/USA) = blackberry
- El Dorado (Yakima) = peach, watermelon, pear
- Waimea (NZ) = tangelo, grassy
on the front-right label and from ratebeer.com:
“…Each IPA contains the same malt backbone and is brewed to be 75 IBU and is enthusiastically kettle hopped and dry hopped with Waimea, El Dorado, Dana & East Kent Goldings…”
“A pseudo noble hop. Noble like a mother fucking king. But not a boring king. Noble like a chain smoking, pimp of a pinball wizard king. Apparently, they are the best kind.
Hailing from Slovenia, Dana was originally cross bred from the German Hallertau Magnum and native Slovenian varieties. Like any good faux noble hop should it infuses a rustic, musty spiciness into a classic beast of a malt base, just like your grandfather’s old school aftershave.
This hop of Eastern European origin is best enjoyed whilst dreaming up a song about a lovely donkey that fell in love with a princess that is destined to take the Eurovision song contest by storm.”
- Style: (single hop, Dana) India Pale Ale
- Taste: Grassy mango toffee malt light spicy medium bitter hops
- Where I got it : Brewery Creek / Vancouver
- How much: $17 (after 10% off) CAD – 4pack of 330ml., September 2013
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: no
- Would I recommend this to beer aficionados: yes
Visual: (Cellared for 2 years). Pours orangish brown with suspended sediment, thin hazy layer of micro retention, just a few micro bubbles of activity.
Nose: brown sugar toffee malts. (lvl-6)-pungency
Attack: half-slick, low CO2
Mid-palate: grassy hop oil, bright (lvl-5-sweetness), mango toffee malt
Finish: background light sourness-tangy, light spicy pine exhale, lingering medium bitter hops.
Summary: Smooth drinkability just like the rest of their single hops. Half grassy, half mango toffee malt character. Pretty good.