- My Rating: [C-], I gave it a (2.6 of 5) on Ratebeer.com
Spiced Pumpkin Ale – Spinnakers Brewpub, 5.0% ABV – 15 IBU, 650ml., (Victoria, BC, Canada) (*local BC craft beer)
on the front-right label:
“A lighter take on the pumpkin style, our Spiced Pumpkin ale was brewed with roasted, BC grown Kabocha squash, lactose and the unmistakable spices of fall.”
Ingredients: aquifer water, malted barley, kabocha squash, lactose, yeast and spices.
- Style: (lactose, kabocha, spices) Spiced Ale
- Taste: Unexpectedly big sour light roast squash barley cinnamon allspice more acidity
- Where I got it : BC Liquor Stores
- How much: $5.60 CAD – 650ml., October 2014
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: no
- Would I recommend this to beer aficionados: nah
Visual: Pours cloudy amber brown with a large bubbly dissipating head, 2mm layer of retention, light lacing, very fast singular streams.
Nose: thin toffee barley malt, background woody cinnamon. (lvl-6)-pungency
Attack: crisp-fizzy-tingly, sour entry
Mid-palate: med-high sour-acidic, (lvl-4-sweetness), light lactose milky, roasted squash, cinnamon, allspice, toasted barley malt
Finish: soft bitter hops, lingering pumpkin spiced toffee malt
Summary: Sour pumpkin ale?! Totally caught me off guard. Decent body, aggressive on the sourness, okay flavours but lacks balance – way too sour.