- My Rating: [B-], I gave it a (3.2 of 5) on Ratebeer.com
Night Owl Pumpkin Ale – Elysian Brewing (AB-InBev), 5.9% ABV, 1 pt. 6 fl.oz., (Seattle, Washington, USA)
on the front-right label:
“Ale brewed with pumpkin & pumpkin seeds & fermented with spices. Our original pumpkin ale is brewed with over 7 lbs. of pumpkin per barrel and spiced in conditioning with nutmeg, clove, cinnamon, ginger and allspice.”
- Style: (pumpkin, spices) Spiced Ale
- Taste: Sweet toffee malt pumpkin spiced brown sugar but thin & short length
- Where I got it : 16th Street Liquor / W.Van
- How much: $6 CAD (after 10% off) – 1 pt 6 fl.oz., September 2012
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: yes
- Would I recommend this to beer aficionados: 50/50
Visual: (Cellared 3 years). Pours reddish brown without much head, thin hazy layer of retention, some bubbles here and there.
Nose: brown sugar barley malt with background pumpkin spices. (lvl-7)-pungency
Attack: sharp crisp, thicker mouthfeel, light tingly
Mid-palate: cinnamon, toasted pumpkin sweet-dense, toffee barley malt, allspice, (lvl-7)-a tad cloying sweetness, brown sugar
Finish: nutmeg-clove/root beer, lingering barley malt sweetness.
Summary: Pretty smooth entry with a decent amount of pronounced spices and a light-medium bodied/short length barley malt backbone. It becomes slightly cloying and taxing on the palate halfway through a glass; Still the flavours are agreeable.