- My Rating: [B-], I gave it a (3.2 of 5) on Ratebeer.com
Dark & Stormy (ale brewed with ginger), 5.5% ABV, 34 IBUs, 650ml, (Whistler, BC, Canada) (*local BC craft beer*)
on the back label:
“A Dark and Stormy night is often a parodied phrase, but in Whistler it can only mean two things; the snow is coming and we’ll soon be enjoying a tasty beer by the fire. A brilliant balance of Canadian two-row & Scottish chocolate malt form the base of this exceptional beer. Nugget, Challenger, Willamette and Golding hops are then added to the boil, along with a barrel of spicy fresh ginger. Think of ginger dipped in dark chocolate and a Whistler Dark & Stormy ale will surely help you through the wind and torrid rain.”
- Style: (ginger) Spiced Ale
- Taste: Toasted caramel malt authentic ginger root beer ginger throat burn
- Where I got it : Bottle Jockey / N.Burnaby
- How much: $6.40 CAD (after 7.5% off) – 650ml., November 2015
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: no
- Would I recommend this to beer aficionados: if you like ginger beers
Visual: Pours beer bottle dark brown with a very small dissipating head, thin ringed retention, partially steady streams all around.
Nose: pressed ginger juice, chocolate malt (lvl-7)-pungency
Attack: crisp-thicker mouthfeel, tingly
Mid-palate: (lvl-4)-sweetness, tangy-zingy, (MAIN flavours) caramel malts, candied ginger, root beer/cola, roast malt
Finish: ginger dryness, spicy ginger throat burn,
Summary: Quite drinkable with a unique ginger character as promised. Medium-bodied, somewhat thin in the attack and mids, and not a lot of length in flavour.