- My Rating: [B], I gave it a (3.5 of 5) on Ratebeer.com
Spruce Tree Ale – Tofino Brewing Company, 6.5% ABV, 650ml, (Tofino, BC, Canada) (*local BC craft beer*)
on the front-left label:
“This golden ale has been conditioned with fresh picked sitka spruce tips and piney, complimentary hops. To fully understand the true essence and inspiration of this beer, walk into the rainforest, quiet your mind, breath in deeply, and let your senses take you on a tour of the timeless and harmonious place that is our natural world – if you can ignore all the insects and deadly predators. And rain. So much rain.”
- Style: (Sitka spruce tips flavoured) IPA
- Taste: Creamy smooth berry malt subtle spruce bitter hop background tangy
- Where I got it : Bottle Jockey / Burnaby
- How much: $8 (after 7.5% off) – 650ml., July 2014
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: no
- Would I recommend this to beer aficionados: yes
Visual: Pours translucent marmalade orange with a large long-lasting super creamy head, thick sticky lacing, legions upon legions of bubbly activity.
Nose: wet grassy berry malts. (lvl-4)-pungency
Attack: creamy smooth-short crisp
Mid-palate: background sour-tangy, (lvl-5)-sweetness, (MAIN) grassy spruce, red berries, honey toffee barley malt
Finish: more tanginess, alcohol, lingering bitter resiny hops, subtle spruce tip exhale.
Summary: Excellent creamy mouthfeel, medium bodied, and a very good use the of spruce – not overpowering but still present.