Phillips Snowcase 2014 Calendar Day #17
- My Rating: [B], I gave it a (3.4 of 5) on Ratebeer.com
Longboat Chocolate Porter – Phillips Brewing, 5.2% ABV – 341ml., (Victoria, BC, Canada)
on the front-right label:
“SKOOKUM [skookum m] (adjective) From Chinook, West coast North America
- A monster indigenous to the cascade region
- Strong, reliable and/or hard working
- IPA with big, bold hop characteristics and a smooth, rich maltiness
- The unofficial fuel of the cascadian revolution”
- Style: Black IPA
- Taste: Roasted barley malt sharp piney & citrus hopped bitter
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: no
- Would I recommend this to beer aficionados: worth a shot
Visual: Pours cola dark brown with a decent creamy dissipating head, a 1mm layer of retention with sticky lacing, clusters of fast streams.
Nose: sweet bread, toasted-light roasted malt. (lvl-6)-pungency
Attack: slick-crisp, half creamy-tingly
Mid-palate: (lvl-4)-sweetness, (MAIN) dry piney & citrus tangy bitter hops, brown sugar, roasted barley malt
Finish: lingering sharp hoppy bitterness, roasted woody malt exhale, resiny finish.
Summary: A very drinkable balance of smooth entry, sharp bitter, and roasted malts. Good texture throughout.