Central City/Parallel 49 2014 Mystery Gift Holiday Countdown Calendar Day #23
- My Rating: [B], I gave it a (3.4 of 5) on Ratebeer.com
Vow of Silence Belgian Strong Ale 2014– Parallel 49 Brewing, 9.8% ABV – 341ml., (Vancouver, BC, Canada)
-Here’s a link to their 2015 whiskey barrel-aged edition if you’re interested.
- Style: Belgian Strong Ale
- Taste: Sweet toffee malt hint of caramel apple
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: no
- Would I recommend this to beer aficionados: nah, only decent
Visual: Pours orangish-brown with lots of suspended sediment, barely any head, very thin layer of retention, several varied speed streams.
Nose: candy sugar maltiness (lvl-6)-pungency
Attack: crisp, micro-tingly, underlying sweet malt
Mid-palate: (lvl-7)-sweetness, (MAIN) caramel apple, alcohol bitter-tangy, toffee barley malt, hint of nutmeg
Finish: residual toffee malt sweetness – clean.
Summary: Much cleaner in flavour and roundness than their whiskey barrel aged edition. Not particularly complex but solid. Very well-hidden ABV.