Phillips Snowcase 2015 Calendar Day #23
- My Rating: [B+], I gave it a (3.7 of 5) on Ratebeer.com
Barrel-Aged Puzzler Black IPA – Phillips Brewing, 7.3% ABV – 341ml., (Victoria, BC, Canada)
on the front-right label:
“Our original Puzzler recipe is aged in freshly emptied bourbon barrels. Midnight roasted malt, Belgian yeast, and American hops, are infused with velvet textures.”
- Style: (bourbon barrel-aged) Black IPA
- Taste: Chocolate roasted malt bourbon anise
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: yes, super smooth
- Would I recommend this to beer aficionados: yes, delicious
Visual: Pours dark coffee brown without a significant head, very thin spotty retention, a few microbubbles here and there.
Nose: roasted barley malt, chocolate. (lvl-6)-pungency
Attack: crisp bite, incoming roast
Mid-palate: creamy-fizzy, (lvl-6)-sweetness, background sourness, (MAIN) chocolate, roasted malt, bourbon
Finish: bourbon heat + mild oaked exhale, anise, thick malty finish.
Summary: Drinks super smooth with a sweet touch yet soft roasty bitterness. Surprisingly well-balanced.