Phillips Snowcase 2015 Calendar Day #19
- My Rating: [B-], I gave it a (3.3 of 5) on Ratebeer.com
Coulrophobia India Red Ale – Phillips Brewing, 6.5% ABV – 341ml., (Victoria, BC, Canada)
on the front-right label:
“Coul-ro-pho-bi-a [kool-ruh-foh-bee-uh], Noun : 1) An abnormal fear of clowns. Noun : 2) A well-balanced ruby red IRA from Phillips. This malt & hop act ain’t jokin’ around. No balloon animals were harmed in the making of this beer.”
- Style: (American red ale hopped like an IPA) India Red Ale
- Taste: Almost creamy grapefruit/tangerine toasted barley malt sweetness to dry hoppy bitterness.
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: no
- Would I recommend this to beer aficionados: decent but likely better IRAs out there
Visual: Pours clear reddish brown with a small 3mm creamy dissipating head, 1mm layer of retention, clusters of steady active streams.
Nose: fruity tangerine hops, sweet malt background. (lvl-5)-pungency
Attack: crisp-almost creamy, incoming dry bitterness
Mid-palate: (lvl-4)-sweetness, (MAIN) tangerine/grapefruit citrus, toasted barley malt, resin
Finish: grapefruit oil bitter hops, lingering medium bitterness.
Summary: Pretty solid in terms of mouthfeel and flavour. I enjoyed the full, almost-creaminess as well as the balanced sweet malts with the citrus hops. Wished for more carry in the finish.