Central City/Parallel 49 2015 Craft Crossing Calendar Day #18
- My Rating: [A-], I gave it a (4.1 of 5) on Ratebeer.com
Gary’s Gourd Imperial & Barrel Aged Squash Ale – Central City Brewing, 9.0% ABV – 330ml., (Surrey, BC, Canada)
on the front-left label:
“We set our brewmaster Gary Lohin loose to create this crazy imperial strength, barrel-aged squash ale. Could it get crazier? Well, when you’re the boss brewer, you get to experiment! Let us know what you think.”
- Style: (barrel-aged, imperial) Spice/Herb/Vegetable Ale
- Taste: Sweet squash cream-fizzy caramel malt root beer oak
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: no
- Would I recommend this to beer aficionados: yes, delicious
Visual: Pours muddy nutty brown with an okay sized head, 1 mm micro layer of fine retention, many clusters of very fast streams.
Nose: caramel malt, molasses, root beer. (lvl-5)-pungency
Attack: cream-fizzy-full mouthfeel
Mid-palate: immediate squash, micro-fizzy, (lvl-7)-sweetness, (MAIN) big caramel malts, root beer, roasted malts, sweet oak
Finish: soft subtle hops, residual cola malt sweetness.
Summary: Definitely my #1 favourite beer in the 2015 Craft Crossing Calendar. For some reason the big caramel flavour reminds me of my early tasting days when I had Japanese Sankt Gallen Stouts back in January of 2012. Impressive, though a tad sweet by the last sip