Phillips Snowcase 2015 Calendar Day #7
- My Rating: [C+], I gave it a (2.9 of 5) on Ratebeer.com
Twisted Oak Stillage Barrel-Aged Scotch Ale – Phillips Brewing, 6.8% ABV – 341ml., (Victoria, BC, Canada)
on the front-right label:
“Barrel-aged scotch ale is the flagship creation of our twisted oak stillage series. Gentle peat notes & sweet vanilla infuse this ale in freshly emptied whiskey barrels. Enjoy from a snifter at cellar temperatures.”
- Style: (whiskey) Barrel-aged Scotch Ale
- Taste: Sweet alcohol forward malty oak background peat vanilla cola
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: no
- Would I recommend this to beer aficionados: nah
Visual: Pours deep dark brown without much head, a very thin half-layer of micro retention, some fast streams near the perimeter.
Nose: sweet caramel malts. (lvl-5)-pungency
Attack: crisp-slick, incoming sweetness, whisky maltiness
Mid-palate: fizzy, (lvl-7)-sweetness, (MAIN) caramel malts, white oak, alcohol detection, peaty backdrop
Finish: vanilla, cola, sweet finish.
Summary: Just an okay barrel-aged beer. Flavours seem muddled and there’s a lack of elegance in transitions and body. I normally favour barrel-aged beers but this one is just lacking.