Central City/Parallel 49 2015 Craft Crossing Calendar Day #1
- My Rating: [C+], I gave it a (2.9 of 5) on Ratebeer.com
Rock the Bells Cranberry Sour Ale – Parallel 49 Brewing Co., 7.0% ABV – 341ml., (Vancouver, BC, Canada)
-This is the other craft beer calendar available in BC; Oh actually Spinnakers (Victoria) has a 12 days of Christmas Calendar, but only 2 of 12 are unique brews. Nah, pass.
-compared to last year, which sadly, I have yet to finish:
on the front-left label:
“Sometimes the holidays can be sour, and we aim to uphold that tradition with this sour cranberry ale. It’s nice and tart, crisp, and stuffed with cranberry flavour and a hint of brett. But unlike your aunt Helen’s turkey, this one won’t leave a bad taste in your mouth.”
- Style: (cranberry) Sour Ale
- Taste: Very tart-sour-tangy cranberry fruity malt bearable barnyard
- How much for the Calendar: $72.40 CAD, November 2015
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: no
- Would I recommend this to beer aficionados: only okay, not terribly complex
Visual: Pours opaque reddish brown with a small 2mm dissipating head, thin ringed retention, a few micro bubbles here and there, otherwise no visible activity.
Nose: fruity cranberry juice, hints of sourness, rather clean. (lvl-4)-pungency
Attack: superTART, very acidic sour, crisp bite, PUCKERY
Mid-palate: continuous sourness, (lvl-3)-sweetness, (MAIN) cranberry, sour-tangy malt, barnyard funk
Finish: lingering sour cranberry tartness and fruity malt exhale.
Summary: Wow, super aggressively tart and sour, starts to mellow out near the backend. Despite the big sourness, there is a general sense of balance.