- My Rating: [C+], I gave it a (3.3 of 5) on Ratebeer.com
Choqlette Porter – Bomber Brewing, 5.5% ABV, 650ml., (Vancouver, BC, Canada) (*local BC craft brew*)
–Another local brewery in the Strathcona/Commercial Drive area; it’s great to see the craft brew scene grow as time goes by. This is my first tasting of their brews.
printed on the front-right label:
“Great taste is more than the beer in this bottle. It’s classy and quirky and vibrant and subtle. It’s chaos and balance, innately in sync. It’s not something you learn, it’s a second instinct. It’s old worldly charm with a modern day spin. Rich roasted malts with chocolate a l’ancienne. London and Paris at home in one drink. It’s just a few of our favourite things.”
- Style: (chocolate) Flavoured Porter
- Taste: Crisp tingly smooth sweet roasted barley malt soft chocolate backend
- Where I got it : Bottle Jockey, N. Bby
- How much: $6.25 (after 7.5% off) – 650ml., September 2015
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: no
- Would I recommend this to beer aficionados: nah
Visual: Pours dark cola brown with a smallish head, 1mm layer of foamy retention, lots of singular micro streams.
Nose: roasted dark malts, chocolate, coffee. (lvl-5)-pungency
Attack: light slick-oily-biting crisp-tingly, micro CO2
Mid-palate: soft mouthfeel, (lvl-5)-sweetness, mild sourness, (MAIN) sweet roasted barley malt, hints of cinnamon
Finish: chocolate depth, soft roasted bittersweet malty finish.
Summary: I like the smooth drinkability and overall balance of crisp, sweet, roasty and malty. I wish for more complexity and creaminess/milky as the finish is a tad cloying sweet.