- My Rating: [C+], I gave it a (2.9 of 5) on Ratebeer.com
Intrepid Matcha Saison – Moody Ales, 6.9% ABV – 35 IBU, 650ml., (Port Moody, BC, Canada) (*local craft beer*)
on the back label:
“Moody Ales is proud of our homebrewing roots – that’s why we regularly serve beers inspired by the local homebrew recipes in our tasting room. When local homebrewer Steve Sheldon shared his Lemon Matcha Saison with us, we knew we had to share it with as many beer lovers as we could. Intrepid Matcha Saison is the result of this collaboration. Crisp, refreshing, earthy, spicy, unique – this beer is a celebration of homebrewed creativity.”
- Style: (Lemon, Matcha) Flavoured Saison
- Taste: Lemony bright banana wheat malt only green tea hints throughout
- Where I got it : Bottle Jockey, N. Bby
- How much: $6.75 (after 10% off) – 650ml., September 2015
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: no
- Would I recommend this to beer aficionados: pass
Visual: Pours egg custard yellow with a small diminishing head, a micro layer of retention, clusters of very active streams.
Nose: light funk, sour wheat malt, hint of lemon juice. (lvl-4)-pungency
Attack: crisp-lively CO2, acidic brightness
Mid-palate: med sour, light tart, (lvl-4)-sweetness, (MAIN) pukey funk, lemon, banana wheat malt
Finish: green tea bitter & dryness, light lemon and wheat malt dry finish.
Summary: It’s an okay crisp brew, but mostly wheat malt dominant with some lemon up front and subtle matcha in the background; Neither make a huge impression. Just average.