- My Rating: [B-], I gave it a (3.3 of 5) on Ratebeer.com
St-Ambroise Double IPA – McAuslan Brewing Inc., 8% ABV, 341ml., (Montreal, Quebec, Canada)
(-continuing on, the 2nd flavour of 5 in the variety pack)
on the back label:
“Our master brewer uses the word ‘intense’ to describe St. Ambroise Double India Pale Ale. If you like hops and you like malt, you will love the ctirus aromas and the full-bodied taste of this unfiltered St.Ambroise Double India Pale Ale.”
- Style: (Double) Imperial IPA
- Taste: Creamy full toffee barley malt citrus grapefruit peel bitter heavy flat finish
- Where I got it : BC Liquor Stores
- How much: $20 – 10x341ml., November 2014
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: no
- Would I recommend this to beer aficionados: unbalanced
Visual: Pours cloudy carrot orange with a smallish dissipating head, 1mm layer of retention, loose slow steady streams.
Nose: orange-tangerine hop oils, light malt background. (lvl-7)-pungency
Attack: creamy-fine CO2, incoming bitter hops
Mid-palate: fullness, (lvl-5)-sweetness, (MAIN) toffee barley malt, orange citrus, light-tangy, alcohol detection
Finish: soft compounding bitter grapefruit peel bitterhops, clean but flat finish.
Summary: Longer flavours and a more prevalent bitter hop profile than their regular IPA that I just tasted. The initial mouthfeel and body are good, but I feel the finish ends somewhat short.