- My Rating: [D], I gave it a (1.8 of 5) on Ratebeer.com
Sublime Pineapple Hefeweizen – Moody Ales, 4.8% ABV, 650ml., (Port Moody, BC, Canada) (*local craft beer*)
on the back label:
“Mix together German yeast, American hops, and pineapple juice and it adds up to sunshine. That’s beer math. But enough studying for today – it’s summertime. This beer may be cloudy, but the weather isn’t, so go outside, enjoy the sun, and cool down with this sessionable, fruity, refreshing brew.
Moody Ales is a craft brewery in Port Moody, British Columbia. We are doing the same thing as when we were homebrewing – making the beer we want to drink. We hope you enjoy this brew as much as we do. Cheers.”
- Style: (Pineapple Hefeweizen) Flavoured Wheat Ale
- Taste: Acidic sour pukey lemon banana wheat malt dry hoppy bitter
- Where I got it : Bottle Jockey, N. Bby
- How much: $6.75 (after 10% off) – 650ml., September 2015
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: no
- Would I recommend this to beer aficionados: forget it
Visual: Pours clear light yellow with a decent foamy dissipating head, a thin layer of retention, micro lacing, scatter bubbles but no streams.
Nose: pineapple pukey, banana wheat malt. (lvl-6)-pungency
Attack: crisp-sour, bubbly-fizzy
Mid-palate: persistent sour acidity, (lvl-2)-sweetness, (MAIN) pukey, lemon, clove, banana wheat malts
Finish: dry hoppy bitterness, rough dry wheat malt finish.
Summary: Very sour, pukey and palate rough almost from start to finish. Barely drinkable with disagreeable flavours and texture. Other local craft brews such as Tree Brewing’s Mellow Moon and Whistler Brewing’s Pineapple Express Wheat are loads better. Refreshing? I think not.