- My Rating: [B-], I gave it a (3.5 of 5) on Ratebeer.com
XS Dead Guy Ale 2013 vintage (aka Double Dead Guy Ale) – Rogue Ales, 9% ABV, 1 pt. 9.4 fl.oz., (Newport, Oregon, USA)
printed on the back:
- Style: American Strong Ale
- Taste: Alcoholic toasted sweet caramel malt citrus hop
- Where I got it: Liquor Barn (Hastings/Burnaby)
- How much: $15 (after 10% off) – 1 pt 9.4 fl.oz., February 2015
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: no
- Would I recommend this to beer aficionados: yes
Visual: Cellared for 2 years (2013), gorgeous painted black ceramic bottle with a black bailer-top. Pours translucent ruby red with barely any head, a thin hazy micro layer, a few micro tightly knit micro streams here and there.
Nose: malty sweet caramel, lightly toasted, hints of bourbon, banana bread. (lvl-6)-pungency
Attack: slick-thick creamy, dense maltiness, background hoppy bitter, bourbon notes
Mid-palate: full-bodied, (lvl-5)-sweetness, alcohol detection, (main) medium roast barley malt, toasted caramel, orange citrus
Finish: bitter generic citrus hopped, off-dry malty finish.
Summary: Love the ceramic bottle. Big body with lots of toasted caramel malt and a citrus hop to balance it out. Kind of straightforward after a glass, but enjoyable.