- My Rating: [B-], I gave it a (3.5 of 5) on Ratebeer.com
CoCoNut PorTer – Maui Brewing Co, 6.0% ABV, 355ml, (Lahina, Maui, Hawaii)
why aluminum? they say:
- eliminates light damage
- reduce the risk of light damage
- chill quicker
- most recycled and most eco-friendly material
my thoughts on aluminum cans:
- do not keep contents cold due to the thinness of material
- seem to be less carbonated (though this can was sufficiently so)
- seem to lose carbonation faster (due to the straight shape vs tapered neck of bottles)
- tendency to lose CO2 over time. ie. cannot store for a prolonged duration.
- Style: (Coconut) Flavoured Porter
- Taste: Crisp light coconut sweet roasted malt chocolate cola
- Where I got it: Bottle Jockey (Burnaby)
- How much: $15 – 4×12 fl.oz., July 2014
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: no
- Would I recommend this to beer aficionados: yep, a nice clean porter
Visual: 4-pack aluminum can. Pours jet black with a large dissipating head, swampy retention, stickly lacing, lots and lots of tight micro streams along the perimeter.
Nose: sweet malty roasted coffee. (lvl-6)-pungency
Attack: crisp, incoming malts
Mid-palate: light fizzy, (lvl-6)-sweetness, (MAIN) subtle toasted coconut, medium-roast malt, hints of licorice
Finish: chocolate, off-dry bitter roast, COLA, sour undertones, residual dry cacao nib
Summary: Good agreeable texture and flavours, with the toasted coconut adding a slight nutty element.