- My Rating: [B], I gave it a (3.5 of 5) on Ratebeer.com
Kellerweis Bavarian-style Wheat Ale – Sierra Nevada Brewing, 4.8% ABV, 650ml, (Chico, CA, USA)
printed on front label on the neck:
“Our Bavarian-style wheat beer is complex with flavors reminiscent of banana bread and spicy clove. This hazy-golden beer glows with suspended yeast, creating a velvety texture and refreshing finish.”
on the back label:
“Kellerweis is one of the few wheat beers made using the traditional Bavarian method of open fermentation, which allows the ingredients to shine and creates vast depth and charater in this hazy-golden beer. To serve, pour two-thirds into a glass, swirl the bottle and add the rest.”
- Style: Bavarian-style Hefeweizen
- Taste: Mild pukey dry banana-pineapple fruity crisp wheat malt
- Where I got it: BC Liquor Stores
- How much: $16.43 – 6×12 fl.oz., August 2015
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: no
- Would I recommend this to beer aficionados: pretty good
Visual: Pours cloudy luminescent yellow with a smallish dissipating head, thin hazy layer of retention, some lacing, lots of slow and steady micro streams.
Nose: fruity pineapple banana wheat malts. (lvl-4)-pungency
Attack: super crisp, minor palate-rough dry wheat malt
Mid-palate: (lvl-3)-soft sweetness, tangy, light pukey, (MAIN) pineapple, banana, wheat malts
Finish: dry bitter bite hops, clove & banana wheat malt dry finish.
Summary: Excellent drinkability along with fantastic crisp texture. A different wheat beer with some tangy and added funk, though some may not like the dry finish.