- My Rating: [C+], I gave it a (3.1 of 5) on Ratebeer.com
Apricotopus Apricot Sour Saison – Parallel 49 Brewing, 6.3% ABV, 650ml, (Vancouver, BC, Canada) (*local craft beer*)
printed on front-left:
“A little known fact about the octopus is that they love apricots and beer. This sour saison made with apricots and blended with lactobacillus to finish. It’s going to make you wish you had more arms.”
Ingredients: pilsner and wheat malts, willamette hops, apricot, lactobacillus, saccharomyces and water.
- Style: (apricot) Flavoured Saison
- Taste: 60/40-acidic sour/fruity apricot banana wheat malt
- Where I got it : BC Liquor Stores
- How much: $5.30 – 650ml., June 2015
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: no
- Would I recommend this to beer aficionados: doesn’t scream apricot
Visual: Pours incandescent orange with barely any head, micro hazy retention, lots of steady streams all around.
Nose: big sour funk, citrus pressed stonefruit juice, banana wheat. (lvl-8)-pungency
Attack: crisp-juicy, light fizzy, medium sour bite
Mid-palate: acidic, light-med tart, fruity tones, (lvl-5)-sweetness, high tangy, (MAIN) pukey, apricot, sustained acidic sour tangy
Finish: banana wheat malty finish.
Summary: The apricot is there but you mostly get a generic stonefruit taste accompanied by the wheat malt. Nicely drinkable and balanced but a one-timer.