- My Rating: [C+], I gave it a (2.8 of 5) on Ratebeer.com
Koshihikari Echigo Beer – Echigo Beer Company, 5% ABV, 500ml, (Niigata, Japan)
“(Translated from the Japanese on the can) We’ve used the delicious water and Koshihikari rice that Niigata’s nature has provided and made this in a German-style decoction mash. This is a dry beer with a crisp palate and finish. ”
- Style: (rice) Flavoured Lager
- Taste: Crisp bite barley malt liquor sweet but smooth
- Where I got it : BC Liquor Stores
- How much: $5.50 – 500ml., May 2015
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: no
- Would I recommend this to beer aficionados: not for flavour
Visual: Pours golden orange with a sizeable foamy head, a 1mm layer of ultra fine retention, lots of spread out steady streams.
Nose: bright and sweet barley malts, trace (lvl-3)-pungency
Attack: super crisp bite
Mid-palate: (lvl-4)-gentle sweetness, (MAIN) cereal grain, faint barley malt
Finish: liquid malt adjunct sweet finish.
Summary: I’m guessing the sweetness comes from the rice. 100% a meal beer; not a whole lot of flavour but does a good job of cleansing the palate.