- My Rating: [C+], I gave it a (3.4 of 5) on Ratebeer.com
The Hobbit: Smaug Stout – Central City Brewing, 8.5% ABV, 650ml., (Surrey, BC, Canada) *local craft beer*
- Style: Imperial Stout
- Taste: Heavy thick roasted malt brown sugar chocolate light chili
- Where I got it : BC Liquor Stores
- How much: $9 – 650ml., January 2015
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: no
- Would I recommend this to beer aficionados: not memorable at all
Visual: Pours coffee black with a small creamy head, a thin layer of retention with clumpy lacing, visible activity near the surface.
Nose: dark brown sugar malts, medium roast (lvl-6)-pungency
Attack: thin-slick mouthfeel, crisp, light fizzy
Mid-palate: subdued sourness, (lvl-7)-sweetness, *smoky bitter astringency*, (MAIN) roasted barley, chocolate, brown sugar, coffee bitterness
Finish: trace chili pepper vegginess, roasted exhale, bittersweet roasted malt with hops finish.
Summary: To me the chili was an afterthought. If you hadn’t told me, I wouldn’t have known it was there in the first place, zero spiciness. Some astringency in the mids, but otherwise and okay stout, nothing special.