- My Rating: [A-], I gave it a (4.1 of 5) on Ratebeer.com
Pliny the Elder – Russian River Brewing, 8.0% ABV – 510ml., (Santa Rosa, CA, USA)
Finally!! Onto the mythical, legendary, hard-to-find, Pliny the Elder…and I found it! I managed to get the last one at Stearns Liquor store in LA (map below), thank you Aaron! How awesome is it? Let’s find out.
- Style: Imperial IPA / Double IPA
- Taste: Creamy tangerine bitter hops caramel biscuit malt smooth finish
- Where I got it, price: $6 USD, Sept 2014, Stearns Liquor
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: yes, shared with friends
- Would I recommend this to beer aficionados: yes
Visual: Pours almost clear luminescent amber, very small dissipating head, a super thin layer of micro retention, zero activity.
Nose: fragrant orange-citrus-grapefruit hops, with oils (lvl-7)-pungency
Attack: creamy-silky mouthfeel, bursting flavourful hops, tangerine, crisp bite
Mid-palate: sharp compounding bitter hops, (lvl-4)-sweetness, (MAIN) grassy, caramel malt, biscuit
Finish: bitter orange peel exhale, resin, very subtle hop bitterness, lingering bitter hopped finish.
Summary: So smooth. Oh so smooth. Very easy-drinking for an 8%er. Bursting tangerine hops flavour is all I can say.