The Craft BeerAdvent Calendar 2014 Day #2
- My Rating: [B], I gave it a (3.1 of 5) on Ratebeer.com
Hippaheikki Teerenpeli Extra Special Bitter (t.e.s.b.) – Teerenpeli Brewery, 4.7% ABV – 330ml., (Lahti, Finland)
- Style: Extra Special Bitter
- Taste: Clean malty fruity barley malt super non-hoppy bitter
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: no
- Would I recommend this to beer aficionados: yep
Visual: (Stockholm Beer and Whisky Festival 2010 Winner) Pours clear golden amber with almost no head, ultra-thin ringed micro bubble retention, ZERO CO2 activity.
Nose: barley malts, hay/grain, malt liquor. (lvl-5)-pungency
Attack: fizzy-tingy, incoming orchard fruitiness + bitter hops
Mid-palate: (lvl-5)-sweetness, (MAIN) barley malts, non-distinct apple/lemon fruitiness, grain/grass
Finish: dry-hopped BIG bitterness, long bitter light malty sweet finish.
Summary: Overall I quite enjoyed the fruity yet bitter nature of this one. There’s not much hop aroma to the bitterness, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. The bitterness is more like the bitterness you get from eating bitter melon.