- My Rating: [C+]
Cherry Fruit Wine 2008 – Rustic Roots Winery., 13.7% ABV – 750ml., (Cawston, BC, Canada)
on the Rustic Roots website:
“Made with 100% certified organic Lambert and Lapin cherries. This is a very unique fruit wine with beautiful aromas of Leather, Earthiness and a Soft Smokiness. The midpalate is rich with flavors of Dark Red Fruit, while the finish is very soft and creamy with very subtle tannin. The Wine is made with a blend of 3 Varieties of Certified Organic Similkameen Cherries! Lapin Cherry for the Sweetness, Lambert Cherry for it’s Dark Color and Sour Cherry for Acidity.”
- Style: (Cherry) Fruit Wine
- Taste: Alcoholic bitter dry cherry leathery smoke
- Where I got it : Rustic Roots website (online order)
- How much: $19 – 750ml., sometime in 2010
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: no
- Would I recommend this to fruit wine aficionados: the latest (but sold out) vintage is supposed to be more balanced
Visual: Pours dark magenta, clear, no bubbles or sediment.
Nose: cherry liqueur, sherry, mild peat (?!), (lvl-5)-pungency
Attack: alcoholic mouthfeel, incoming acidic sourness
Mid-palate: alcohol, (lvl-2)-sweetness, tangy-acidic, (MAIN) deep cherry, bitterness, leather
Finish: light warmth, smokiness, dryness, alcoholic bitter finish.
Summary: The flavour doesn’t scream out cherry, but it’s okay for a table wine. It might be nice mulled with spices.