- My Rating: [D-], I gave it a 1.9 of 5 on Ratebeer.com
Weeping Reaper Blood Orange Helles Bock – Dead Frog Brewery, 7% ABV, 650ml., (Aldergrove, BC, Canada)
on the front left-side label:
“A haunting golden lager with an inviting hint of blood orange. A warm golden lager with a splash of citrus and slight caress of fruity hop flavour and aroma. Premium European malts and hops result in a brew that’s light in colour but not in body with a perfectly balanced finish.”
- Style: (Blood Orange, Helles Bock) Flavoured Lager
- Taste: hoppy bitter pith/peel weedy rough malt
- Where I got it : BC Liquor Stores
- How much: $5.50 – 650ml., October 2014
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: no
- Would I recommend this to beer aficionados: no
Visual: There’s the grim reaper on the label, setting the mood for October. Pours light whiskey brown without much head, a thin layer of micro CO2 retention, lots of clustered active streams.
Nose: faint orange oil, hints of malty sweetness. (lvl-3)-pungency
Attack: subdued incoming bitter hops
Mid-palate: (lvl-4)-sweetness, (MAIN) blood orange bitter pith from the peel, sweet + tangy malts, weedy/dandelion
Finish: sharp bitter peel hoppy bitterness, rough finish.
Summary: Something in the mids just doesn’t sit well on the palate. The bitterness is like overly steeped lemon/lime peel. The pith bitterness + hops = gag reflex. Do not like. Doesn’t go well with a meal.