- My Rating: [B+], I gave it a (3.9 of 5) on Ratebeer.com
Royk Uten ild (Røyk Uten Ild), 8% ABV, 50cl., (Drammen, Norway)
– It’s been over 2 year since I’ve had a HaandBryggeriet beer; I’m quite looking forward to this one since all of my previous reviews of theirs have been consistently good. (Dark Force = B+, Odin’s Tipple = B, Akevitt Porter = A).
description on ratebeer.com:
“Røyk Uten Ild (Smoke Without Fire) is our smoky beer, here we have tried to make a beer as smoky as we can using our smoked malt from Weiermann. We have made a fairly dark and flavourful beer. Apart from the special malt the rest of the malt bill (86%) is smoked malt. You could also say that this is a smoked wheat beer, because we have used our wheat beer yeast here. The beer is not scary but actually very nice even for those that aren’t smoke beer fanatics….try it and you will see. Contains malted barley, Amarillo hops, wheat beer yeast, and lots of smoked malt from Bamberg, Germany. 8% alc, 33 ibu, 48 ebc. Serving temp 8 – 12C or 46 – 53F.”
- Style: Smoked Beer
- Taste: Cacao creamy sweet brown sugar malt lightly smoked
- Where I got it : 16th St. Liquor Store (W.Van)
- How much: $11 (after 10% off) – 50cl., April 2013
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: no
- Would I recommend this to beer aficionados: yes
Visual: A rather simplistic label compared to their regular lineup. Pours cloudy beer bottle brown with a smallish very long lasting micro foamy head, a small layer of retention, a bit of lacing, tons of varied speed active streams.
Nose: Charcoal smoke immediately jumps out, malt, a bit of brown sugar, molasses. (lvl-6)-pungency
Attack: crisp, silky smooth mouthfeel, creamy
Mid-palate: (lvl-6)-sweetness, (MAIN) brown sugar liquid malt, cola, molasses, woodiness, hints of anise, coffee
Finish: minor smokiness, cacao nib bitterness, subtle soft bitter hops, malty sweet finish.
Summary: Quite and engaging cacao sweet malty beer that grabs and holds your attention. Excellent balance and “silkiness” that keeps you sipping.