- My Rating: [B-], I gave it a (3.4 of 5) on Ratebeer.com
Mabon 2008 Spiced Honey Wine – Meadow Vista Honey Wines, 12.2% ABV – 750ml., (Kelowna, BC, Canada)
on the left side of the front label:
“A warm and spicy metheglin style, Mabon balances just the right amount of coriander, cardamom, cinnamon and nutmeg with pure BC honey. Pairing well with walnut and goat cheese salad, herb encrusted lamb and your favourite leather chair beside an evening fire.”
- Style: (coriander/cardamom/cinnamon/nutmeg) Spiced Mead
- Taste: Sour-fruity apple-honey spiced acidic alcoholic
- Where I got it : Liquor Depot in Dilworth, Kelowna
- How much: $30 – 750ml., summer of 2010
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: no
- Would I recommend this to mead aficionados: didn’t love it & didn’t hate it
Visual: Pours white wine yellow without any bubbles.
Nose: sweet honey wine mixed with distinct cinnamon, cardamom, and nutmeg, very clean. (lvl-8)-pungency
Attack: big acidity
Mid-palate: (lvl-3)-sweetness, alcoholic bitterness, (MAIN) red apple, light honey, white grape, green cardamom/cinnamon/nutmeg
Finish: tangy-sour acidity, alcoholic throat warmth, coriander, medium tart apple-fruity off-dry finish.
Summary: Although a little “thin”-feeling on the palate, this mead is well-balanced in flavour, alcohol, and complexity. Too much acidity/sourness for me to love.