- My Rating: [B-], I gave it a (3.2 of 5) on Ratebeer.com
Roguenbier Rye Ale – Rogue Ales, 6.6% ABV – 25 IBU – 650ml., (Newport, Oregon, USA)
on the back label:
“Dedicated to Farmers, Fermenters & Brewers. GYO is a Rogue Ales term for Grow Your Own. We made this ale with our own rye, hops and barley.
Farming takes determination. Our entire first planting of Rogue farms Dream Rye was eaten by a wave of slugs in 24 hours. We were determined to grow and brew with our own rye, so we replanted. Dare, Risk, Dream.
Brewed using 9 ingredients: Rogue Dream™ Rye; Rogue Black, Rogue Smoked, Rogue Caramel 40 and Rogue Barley Farm Dare™ & Risk™ Malts; Rogue Hopyard Independent Hops; Free Range Coastal Water and Weizen Yeast.”
- Style: (also barley) Rye Ale
- Taste: Caramel bready malty rye soft hopped ale
- Where I got it : W. 16th Liquor Store
- How much: $9 – 650ml., April 2013
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: no
- Would I recommend this to beer aficionados: sure, not amazing but solid
Visual: Pours nutty root beer brown with smallish foamy head, a very thin layer of micro retention, some decent lacing, some varied speed streams.
Nose: light brown sugar malts, smells like a brune (lvl-4)-pungency
Attack: very biting crisp, yeasty sourness
Mid-palate: background hopped sourness, (lvl-5)-sweetness, (MAIN) brown sugar malts, caramel, bready, yeasty
Finish: hint of quick spiciness,, smooth-crisp mouthfeel malty off-dry soft hopped bitter finish.
Summary: Very drinkable especially while still cold. Overall good body, mouthfeel, and flavour. Forgettable but not regrettable.