- My Rating: A
Epicurean Coffee & Fig Imperial Oatmeal Stout 2012 – Epic Brewing, 8% ABV – 750ml., (Auckland, New Zealand)
on the front label:
“Luscious oatmeal stout brewed with razor sharp cleaver chopped Turkish Lerida figs & matured on Kenyan Karen coffee expertly roasted by Kerry and Dan at Caffe L’affare in Wellington. This stout was conditioned on toasted coconut from the Philippines. Grab a scoop of Kohu road vanilla ice cream, pour a couple of glasses and enjoy. Originally created & brewed with Dish magazine editor, Victoria Wells. Media Brew Champion of Beervana, 2011.”
- Style: (coffee, fig, coconut) Flavoured Imperial Stout
- Taste: Bold smooth roasted coffee fig malt bittersweet
- Where I got it : Brewery Creek
- How much: $20 (after 10% off) – 750ml., January 2013
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: yes, glad I bought 2 bottles
- Would I recommend this to beer aficionados: nirvana for stout fanatics
Visual: Pours ultra dark brown with smallish very foamy lasting head, some lacing, a bit of activity near the surface.
Nose: clean roasted coffee without much burntness, soft aroma. (lvl-5)-pungency
Attack: dark malts, silky texture
Mid-palate: fizzy-micro-tingly, (MAIN) big roasted coffee, fig dark fruitiness, cacao, thick malts
Finish: coconut nuttiness, roasted coffee exhale, malty sweet coffee bitter finish.
Summary: Big roasted coffee and figgy flavour with just enough ABV, body, texture and zero sourness. Composed and poised. One of my top 3 favourite stouts out of all the 50+ stouts I’ve tried.