My Rating: C-
Black Swan (Oak Aged) Imperial Stout – Buckerfield’s Brewery, 8.5% ABV – 650ml., (Victoria, BC, Canada)
- Style: (Oak) Barrel-Aged Imperial Stout
- Taste: Sweet caramel malt plastic licorice
- Where I got it : Brewery Creek
- How much: $6 (after 10% off) – 650ml., January 2013
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: no
- Would I recommend this to beer aficionados: no
Visual: Pours ultra dark brown with almost no head and many streams near the surface.
Nose: thick sweet caramel malts, roasted, molasses, brown sugar, soy sauce (lvl-7)-pungency
Attack: thick viscosity, very tingly, half-crisp
Mid-palate: (lvl-6) sweetness, (MAIN) thick caramel malts, molasses, licorice, strange plastic/rubber, mild oak, soy sauce
Finish: malty sweet, soft hopped, light bitter malty finish.
Summary: An okay imp stout with decent body but rather disappointing considering it is barrel-aged. It has distasteful persistent rubber/plastic in there that ruins the experience.