- My Rating: Fail
Lil’ Red Sour Cherry Berlinerweisse – Parallel 49 Brewery, 4.4% ABV – 650ml, (Vancouver, BC, Canada)
On the front-side label:
“A favourite drink of Berliners in the summer, with our own addition of Okanagan sour cherries, this unique ale is bubbly like champagne (minus the sweet aftertaste) and best served in a chilled chalice. Prost to that.”
- Style: Berliner Weisse
- Taste: Plastic wheat malt strange “cherry” sour/tart
- Where I got it : Legacy Liquor Store
- How much: $6 (after 10% off) – 650ml., August 2013
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: no
- Would I recommend this to beer aficionados: not even to my enemies
Visual: Pours a beautiful orange-ruby red, barely any head, just a few tight streams.
Nose: Almost plasticky, kind of like persimmon but not, quite odd and non-typical. (lvl-6)-pungency
Attack: incoming sour/tartness
Mid-palate: very sour, medium tart, (lvl-3)-fruity sweetness, (MAIN) wheat malts, off-putting plastic (which are the cherries)
Finish: mild palate roughness, light fizzy tart fruity finish.
Summary: Almost undrinkable, with an okay attack but awful strange plastic flavour in the mid to finish. Actually halfway through it’s a waste of calories to burn later.