- My Rating: C+
Merlot Icewine 2000 (!)– Lang Vineyards, 10.0% ABV – 200ml., (Naramata, BC, Canada)
- Silver – 2003 All Canadian Wine Championships
- Bronze – 2002 Canadian Wine Awards
- Gold – 2001 All Canadian Wine Championships
- Gold – 2001 Indiana State Fair Wine Competition
- Silver – 2001 International Eastern Wine Competition
- Style: (Merlot) Icewine
- Taste: Raspberry-plum liqueur with natural sweetness
- Where I got it: Liquor Depot @Cambie
- How much: $61 (5% off) – 200ml. ($229/750ml btl), January 2013
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: no
- Would I recommend this to dessert wine aficionados: no, clearly overpriced
Visual: 2000!! also the winner of numerous accolades. This has got to blow my mind, right?? Unique red corked bottle with a red wax seal on top. Pours XO Brandy-coloured orange, ultra-clear.
Nose: Raspberry, light raisin, plum, hints of strawberry, very clean aromas (7/10-pungency)
Attack: dense fruity sweetness, fruity sugars
Mid-palate: (9/10)-sweetness, (MAIN) raspberry jam, plum wine, red raisin, red apple
Finish: crisp acidity, clean mild alcohol warmth, tangy sweet fruity finish.
Summary: This drinks like a refined liqueur, but not much more. The sweetness is controlled, body is decent, but lacks complexity and wow factor. Mind blow it didn’t. Also, 14 years cellaring didn’t do anything for this bottle, but I hardly expected it to. I paid $61 for my 200ml bottle. Here’s one asking for $250,000. Rule of Icewines: expensive ≠ more delicious.