- My Rating: B
Sahti Claws – Parallel 49 Brewery, 7.7% ABV – 650ml., (Vancouver, BC, Canada)
-It’s my first time trying a Sahti-style beer so here’s a bit of info from wiki:
- a traditional ale from FINLAND, brewed with a combination of rye, barley, wheat, and oats.
- flavoured with JUNIPER BERRIES
- high ABV (~8%)
On the front side label:
“Between raiding and conquering, the Vikings worked up quite a thirst. This traditional Finnish beer is strong, unfiltered and made with rye, barley and juniper berries. We decided to compliment ours with Chinook and Simcoe hops for an added piney flavour.”
- Style: Sahti
- Taste: fizzy-silky/berry -> juniper/caramel malts/banana -> bittersweet hoppy/malt finish.
- Where I got it : Parallel 49 Brewery
- How much: $9 – 650ml., December 2013
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: no
- Would I recommend this to beer aficionados: no
Visual: Pours hazy caramel brown with a smallish creamy head, thin layer of micro bubbly retention, a bit of lacing, several very slow streams.
Nose: caramel malts, sweet & tangy juniper berries, pine. (8/10)-aromatic strength.
Attack: fizzy-silky mouthfeel, incoming berry sweetness
Mid-palate: (7/10)-fruity sweetness, (MAIN) fruity juniper berries, caramel malts
Finish: soft hoppy bitterness, malty bittersweet finish.
Summary: A nice beer with in a distinctive style. Decent depth a balance for a seasonal beer.