- My Rating: B
Friendship Brew Black Saison – Green Flash Brewery & St Feuillien, 5.7% ABV –1 pt. 6 fl.oz., (San Diego, CA, USA)
On the front label:
“Our second collaboration with Brasserie St-Feuillien, Friendship Brew, is a Black Saison that blends European and American hops, Belgian yeast and a cache of secret spices. The aroma and flavors are enticing, with delicate fruitiness, subtle spice and rounded roast malt characteristics. Bottle conditioning provides lively carbonation and rich beer foam for a luscious body and a lean, dry finish.”
- Style: (spiced) Saison
- Taste: fizzy/acidic -> sour/burnt roasted malts/peppermint/toffee -> off-dry malts/grapefruit hops/burnt bitter finish.
- Where I got it : Legacy Liquor
- How much: $11 (after 10% off) – 1 pt 6 fl.oz., August 2013
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: no
- Would I recommend this to beer aficionados: yes
Visual: Pours ultra-dark brown with a superb foamy-fluffy head, great retention, sticky lacing, lots of bubbly activity.
Nose: black cardamom, burnt cedar, peppermint, caramel malts. (4/10)-aromatic strength.
Attack: creamy fizzy with an acidic backbone
Mid-palate: medium sourness, (MAIN) toffee (7/10)-sweetness, peppermint, burnt-bitter roasted malts
Finish: off-dry malts, grapefruit bitter & burnt bitter hopped finish.
Summary: Not your typical Saison. This beer is COMPLEX and quite taxing on the palate. Definitely a “different” beer.