- My Rating: D+
Floris Mango – Brouwerij Huyghe, 3.6% ABV – 330ml, (Melle, Belgium)
Ingredients: water, barley malt, wheat, 30% mango juice, hops, yeast, aroma.
- Style: (Mango) Fruit Beer
- Taste: sugary sweetness -> candied mango/wheat/barley -> mango exhale/half-sweet cloying finish.
- Where I got it : Sherbrooke (EDM)
- How much: $4 (after 10% off) – 330ml., June 2012
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: no
- Would I recommend this to beer aficionados: not quite
Visual: Sealed with a glued-on foil and cap. Pours translucent hazy golden orange with almost no head , very thin retention, some slow steady streams.
Nose: sour-tangy wheaty candied mango juice. Seems artificial but aromatic nonetheless. (9)-aromatic strength.
Attack: cloying-super (10)-sweetness
Mid-palate: tangy-sourness, (MAIN) mango candy (HINT) wheat, barley malt
Finish: fruity real-mango exhale, partially (5)-cloying sweet sugary finish.
Summary: This drinks like a COOLER, not really like a fruit beer or lambic. The sweetness is way too aggressive from the start and persists until some of the fruit flavour shines through but only momentarily at the finish. Casual beer drinkers may like it. (Note: all numbers above are on a 10-point scale, with 1 being weak and 10 being the strongest)