- My Rating: B
Hop Head Black IPA – Tree Brewing, 8.2% ABV – 650ml, (Kelowna, BC, Canada)
- The only other Black IPA I’ve had was Parallel 49’s Black Christmas CDA, which I gave a C+ and thought was interesting.
- Style: Black IPA
- Taste: biting hops/creamy -> malt/choco/bitter roast coffee -> coffee malt exhale/grapefruity bitter hoppy finish.
- Where I got it : Brewery Creek
- How much: $7 (after 10% off) – 650ml., July 2013
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: no
- Would I recommend this to beer aficionados: yes
Visual: Too bad no info about the beer itself, but a nice printed ink on the bottle. Pours coffee black with a nice smallish creamy dissipating head, thin layer of retention, sticky lacing.
Nose: strong thick malts and coffee/chocolate on the nose, very nice. (8)-aromatic strength.
Attack: biting hops, creamy-fizzy mouthfeel,
Mid-palate: (8)-caramel sweetness (MAIN) malt, chocolate, bitter roast coffee (HINT) pine, licorice
Finish: coffee malt exhale, lingering (6)-bitter grapefruity hops.
Summary: Good complexity. The body is almost there, just a wee thin but the good transitions and depth make up for it. Better than the Black Christmas CDA from Parallel 49. Just like a bittersweet coffee with a good kick to it. (Note: all numbers above are on a 10-point scale, with 1 being weak and 10 being the strongest)