- My Rating: B-
Pumpkin Ale – Lighthouse Brewing, 5.5% ABV, 650ml, (Victoria, BC, Canada)
Ingredients on the front side label: water, malted barley, pure CANADIAN PUMPKIN, DEMERARA SUGAR, MILK SUGAR (LACTOSE), hops, spices, yeast.
- Style: (seasonal, pumpkin) Spiced Ale
- Taste Profile: crispy fizzy-silky -> milk caramel malts/pumpkin -> brown sugar/ginger/malt finish.
- Where I got it : W.16th Liquor
- How much: $5 (after 10% off) – 650ml, January 2013
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: no
- Would I recommend this to beer aficionados: yes
Visual: Simple label, unique ingredients for a pumpkin ale; namely the demerara and milk sugar. Pours cloudy copper brown with a small dissipating head, light lacing, ringed retention, several slow streams.
Nose: sweet caramel malts on the nose with a hint of chocolate. (5)-aromatic strength
Attack: sharp crispness, silky-fizzy mouthfeel
Mid-palate: (6)-sweetness, (MAIN) caramel malts, milky, pumpkin
Finish: brown sugar, traces of ginger, semi-sweet malt.
Summary: Not a whole lot of detectable spice but a damn smooth brew with depth and balance. (Note: all numbers above are on a 10-point scale, with 1 being weak and 10 being the strongest)