- My Rating: C
Pumpkin Ale – Steamworks Brewery, 6.5% ABV, 650ml, 25 IBU, (Vancouver, BC, Canada)
Ingredients: water, barley malt, PUMPKIN PUREE, hops, yeast, spices (CINNAMON, GINGER, NUTMEG, CLOVES)
- Style: (seasonal, pumpkin) Spiced Ale
- Taste Profile: cream-fizzy malts -> brown sugar/ginger/cinnamon/pumpkin -> ginger spicy/malty spiced dry bitter hopped finish.
- Where I got it : BC Liquor Stores
- How much: $5.50 – 650ml, September 2013
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: no
- Would I recommend this to beer aficionados: no
Visual: Beautiful artwork printed on the bottle; it shows care and pride even for short-term seasonal brew, kudos. Pours dark copper-reddish with a nice-sized foamy head, a bit of lacing, thin layer of retention, lots of fast activity.
Nose: brown sugar malts with some metallic notes. Cinnamon and caramel as well. (6)aromatic strength
Attack: creamy-fizzy mouthfeel, malty (7)sweetness
Mid-palate: (MAIN) brown sugar malts, ginger dryness, cinnamon, pumpkin (3)saltiness
Finish: (2)ginger spiciness, residual sugars, malty pumpkin spiced light (3)bitter hopped finish.
Summary: I like this more than the GI Pumpkining I had yesterday. Better packaging, visually, more character and depth, however it’s astringent with the dominant dry ginger bitterness. (Note: all numbers above are on a 10-point scale, with 1 being weak and 10 being the strongest)