- My Rating: C+
Green Tea Elixir Mead (Green Tea & Ginger)- Middle Mountain Meadery, 11.8% ABV – 750ml, (Santa Cruz, California, USA)
from the Middle Mountain Mead website:
“Finally, a wine that’s perfect with Asian food! This mead is made with GINGER, a blend of SENCHA and JASMINE TEA and BC GINSENG. Last but not least, it has been INFUSED WITH NETTLES and has a lovely green colour. Heat it like sake or drink it at room temperature. Who knew a wine could taste like this.”
- Style: (Tea, ginger, ginseng) Spiced Mead
- Taste Profile: sweet/alcohol/tangy -> ginseng/honey/apple -> warm/ginger/green tea/sweet tannic finish.
- Where I got it : Brewery Creek
- How much: $23, Sometime in 2010
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: no
- Would I recommend this to wine drinkers: yes
Visual: Unfortunately the label doesn’t list the other ingredients on the label which is shame since BC ginseng and jasmine tea sound very intriguing with mead. Pours light white wine yellow, clear as water with tiny bubbles settled at the bottom of the glass.
Nose: bright mead, red apple, jasmine
Attack: dense sweetness(8/10), subdued alcohol, light tangy sourness
Mid-palate: (MAIN) ginseng bitterness, light honey, red/green apple
Finish: alcoholic warmth, light-med ginger burn, green tea exhale, light tannic semi-sweet finish.
Summary: A nicely constructed mead with unique ingredients that work well together.