- My Rating: C+
Dark Meddle – Gigantic Brewing Co, 5.9% ABV – 1 pt 6 fl.oz., (Portland, OR, USA)
On the front side label:
“Our crafty homage to the Vienna-style lager brewed by our favorite Mexican Grupo. A malty, full-flavored, dark brew, made extra-smooth with piloncillo cane sugar. Unleash your next luchador!”
- Style: Vienna Lager
- Taste Profile: sugar cane sweetness -> creamy/malts/cane sugar/caramel -> hoppy bitterness/bittersweet malty finish.
- Where I got it : Brewery Creek
- How much: $7 (after 10% off), July 2013
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: no
- Would I recommend this to beer aficionados: 50/50 – solid but not outstanding
Visual: cartoonish artwork for a wth is this moment; a quick look a the label includes piloncillo cane sugar, basically whole unrefined cane sugar (below-via wiki). Pours medium dark translucent brown with a smallish head, layer of micro CO2 retention, lots and lots of active streams.
Nose: pretty muted nose, only malts
Attack: 7/10-cane sugar sweetness, crispness, underlying bitter hops
Mid-palate: creamy-fizzy mouthfeel, light toastiness, MALTS, CANE SUGAR, brown sugar, caramel
Finish: mild hoppy bitterness kicks in, bittersweet malty-caramel finish.
Summary: Pretty straightforward flavour profile with no twists or surprises. Well-crafted and solid. I look forward to reviewing other beers from Gigantic in the future.