- My Rating: B+
Vuur & Vlam (Fire & Flames) – De Molen, 6.2% ABV – 75cl, (Bodegraven, Netherlands)
- Style: India Pale Ale
- Taste Profile: creamy sweetness -> caramel malts/orange -> soft grapefruit hops/lingering soft bitter finish.
- Where I got it: Brewery Creek
- How much: $15 (after 10% off), April 2013
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: no
- Would I recommend this to beer aficionados: yes
Visual: those who have had De Molen beers in the past will instantly recognize the plain font label; for those who haven’t this bottle will likely go unnoticed.. Corked bottle pours with almost all head even with a gentle pour, translucent golden with lots of activity and ridiculously long head retention.
Nose: caramel malts, hints of tropical fruit especially when chilled – guava and pineapple.
Attack: creamy/yeasty, 5/10-sweetness
Mid-palate: caramel malts, orange citrus
Finish: mild grapefruity bitter hops, lingering soft bitter finish.
Overall this isn’t the most complex but it is well put together, extremely smooth and refined.