- My Rating: C+
Chainbreaker White IPA – Deschutes Brewery, 5.6% ABV – 12 fl.oz., (Bend, OR, USA)
On the front side label:
“You pair wheat, hops and Belgian yeast and suddenly ‘bingo, a wheat like nobody else’s.’ With real depth, coriander and sweet orange peel, it’s citrus-packed and silky smooth going down.”
- Style: (wheat & spiced) IPA
- Taste Profile: banana malt -> sour citrus/grapefruit/barnyard -> coriander/pepper/dense malty bitter finish.
- Where I got it : BC Liquor Stores
- How much: $15/6pack, June 2013
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: no
- Would I recommend this to beer aficionados: yes
Tasting notes: pours cloudy light yellow with a smallish dissipating head, a soft layer of retention, lacing, and some barely visible activity. Wheaty banana and guava with a bit of barnyard on the nose.
Attack: tangy malted banana
Mid-palate: 6/10-citrus sourness, white grapefruit, hints of barnyard, 6/10-sweetness
Finish: cuts to off-dry, bitter coriander, mild pepperiness, lingering dense sugars with a wheat-malt background.
Lots of interesting flavours here balanced with fine drinkability. I’m not a huge fan of IPAs but this one is acceptable.