- My Rating: C
Fraoch Heather Ale – Heather Ales (Williams Bros Brewing) *1 of 4pack Historic Ales of Scotland*, 5% ABV – 330ml, (Alloa, Scotland)
on the back label:
“Fraoch is Scotland’s native ale. Heather ale has been brewed in Scotland since 2000 b.c. Brewed using heather flowers and Scottish malt, it has a distinctive floral aroma, full malt character and a dry wine-like finish. As one of the oldest styles of ale in the world there are many legends and folklore surrounding it.”
Ingredients: water, barley malt, heather, myrtle, hops, yeast.
- Style: (heather) Spiced Ale
- Taste Profile: med-sweet thin apple -> honeyed malts/grass -> very dry/coriander/crisp tingly finish.
- Where I got it : BC Liquor Stores
- How much: $14/4pack, Nov 2012
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: no
- Would I recommend this to beer aficionados: no
Tasting notes: pours cloudy orange marmalate with almost no head, a bit ringed retention and lacing, a bit of activity and a few floaties. Smells of malts and honey.
Attack: 6/10-sweetness, thin mouthfeel, hints of apple
Mid-palate: honeyed malts, grassiness
Finish: cuts very dry, mild coriander, crisp finish.
Hmm I don’t get that much out of this beer. It’s rather plain and underwhelming on my palate – thus I give it an average rating.