- My Rating: B
Dark O’ the Moon Pumpkin Stout – Elysian Brewing, 6.5% ABV – 1 Pint 6 fl.oz., (Seattle, WA, USA)
On the front label:
“Pumpkin Stout – Stout brewed with pumpkin and pumpkin seeds with cinnamon added. Dark o’ the Moon Pumpkin Stout is spookily smooth and chocolatey with a touch of cinnamon. It won a 2010 GABF Silver Medal in the Field Beer category.”
- Style: (Pumpkin) Stout
- Taste Profile: heavy dark malts -> sweet malts/chocolate/pumpkin/cinnamon/raisin -> creamy/dense coffee bitter finish.
- Where I got it : Hastings Liquor Store
- How much: $12, December 2012
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: probably not
- Would I recommend this to beer aficionados: for sure
Tasting notes: (It’s nowhere near Halloween nor October but… hey I have a stockpile of beer I must go through) pours supa-dark coffee brown with almost no head and thin ringed retention with a bit lacing, not much visible activity. Oh so dark malts and light coffee on the nose.
Attack: thick dark malts right up front
Mid-palate: 9/10-malty sweetness kicks in, chocolate, coffee, light fizzy, DISTINCT pumpkin flavour (EXCEPTIONAL!), cinnamon, red raisin
Finish: creamy, med-heavy coffee bittersweet, strong lingering roast coffee bitterness
Exactly as advertised – distinguishable pumpkin flavour with an intense and full-bodied stout backbone. Lots going on and excellently crafted.