- My Rating: B
Bob’s Your Dunkel – Mt. Begbie Brewing, 8.0% ABV – 650ml, (Revelstoke, BC, Canada)
On the front label:
“All it takes is heaps of wheat, chocolate, munich malt, pure mountain water, a little hops, and a traditional German yeast and ‘Bob’s your
Uncle Dunkelweizen’. It’s just that simple! (Did we forget to mention it’s unfiltered with great clove characteristics?)”
- Style: Dunkelweizen (weizenbock)
- Taste Profile: sweet creamy/silk -> malt/brown sugar/caramel/bourbon/banana/vanilla -> light bittersweet clean finish.
- Where I got it : Bottle Jockey
- How much: ~$8, March 2013
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: no
- Would I recommend this to beer aficionados: yes
Tasting notes: Gotta support local breweries! Might as well eh, since we don’t get too much stuff from south of the border here on the west coast of Canada. Pours a nice med-dark copper brown with a smallish head, thin foamy retention, some slow streams. Sweet med-dark caramel malts on the nose – sweet and inviting.
Attack: burst of 8/10-sweetness, creamy/foamy nice silky mouthfeel
Mid-palate: sweet malts, caramel, brown sugar, mild woodiness, light bourbon/wood, light banana/vanilla
Finish: mild candied-sweetness, light-med malty bitter, clean & crisp
I like it. Alcohol takes a backseat or even the trunk as the malt/caramel/bourbon ride shotgun. Great balance and drinkability.